The Apostolic Church grew out of the 1904-5 Welsh revival and was founded in 1915. It is a pentecostal, evangelical and international denomination.
The Dover Apostolic Church was originally formed in the 1940's as a church plant from the Lydden church initially holding its services in London Road before moving to Erith Street. In the 1990's the church outgrew its building and the Sunday services moved to South Kent College, while still maintaining prayer meetings and children's work in the building in Erith Street.
With increasing numbers a larger building was sought to accommodate all activities in one venue. The site chosen was originally a fever hospital based in a farmhouse and opened by Dr Astley in 1871. After the war many of the buildings were damaged and much work was required to reinstate it as an 'Eye Hospital,' which it remained from 1961 until 1981. After it was shut down it was left to become derelict until the Dover Apostolic Church saw the potential of the site and in 1996 the building was purchased. For over a year, congregation members enthusiastically renovated the building.
Interestingly the building sits on 'Noah's Ark Road' named after the Noah's Ark Dairy which originally stood at the western end and more than likely named so, because it lay under the hill known as Mount Ararat.....the resting place of Noah's Ark after the flood. A competition to name the building was held and with its interesting history the chosen name was The Ark.
It was officially opened by one of the founder members, Harold Wade in September 1997. Joel Edwards the former President of the Evangelical Alliance was the guest speaker. Initially services were held in the 'Auditorium' but plans were underway for a large extension to the former eye hospital and soon building work was in progress.
The impressive Arena, with its lantern shaped roof, shining a bright light on the surrounding community and the Terrace area were soon complete and opened by Blue Peter and Songs of Praise presenter Diane Louise Jordan in 2003.
Other building projects and extensions have taken place over the last few years to cope with the increasing use of the Ark including, the 'Children's Centre' centre extension in 2006, the 'Conservatory' in 2007 and pre-school expansions and outside play areas in 2010 and 2012.